Our School Story
Sharing Our School Story:
Our Context- James McKinney Elementary School is located near Steveston on Lassam Road. We are a dual track school having students from both Neighbourhood and Montessori Programs.
James McKinney was one of Richmond's pioneer citizens. He moved from Ontario to Lulu Island in 1892. Once he arrived, he purchased 200 acres of land in the area where the school is currrently located. Here he engaged in mixed farming involving both dairy and farm produce. Throughout his life, James McKinney developed not only an efficient and prosperous farming business but also associated himself actively in community affairs. He was keenly interested in politics at all levels and was, in 1893, a member of the School Board for Steveston District School, which was, at that time, at the corner of No. 2 Road and Steveston Highway.